A lot of inexperienced users are confused when it comes to choosing between various power tools. While comparing chainsaw vs. pole saw, we’ll analyze the features of every tool and its uses.
A chainsaw and a pole saw are both used for cutting. However, each one has different uses from the other. In this article, we’ll explain how each one works, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of both tools.
What is a Chainsaw and What it is Used For?
Chainsaws are powerful tools that cut big blocks of wood. The chainsaw has 2 main parts, the blade which is wrapped around a metal guide bar and a gasoline or electric powered engine to run the tool.
The blade is built into a chain with sharp teeth, and the whole blade is connected to the engine through a rod that pushes the chain to spin around and the blade to cut through wood.
Several models of chainsaws can cut through different types of materials. Here are some of the uses of the chainsaw.
- A chainsaw can clear roads of fallen trees. Trees die from the inside out, and keeping them might be hazardous. Clearing big trees is one of the most serious jobs in the world, and only experienced people should be able to do it.
- Limbing or removing the branches of a fallen tree is another job for a chainsaw. The branches can later be used for multiple uses.
- Pruning or cleaning up trees can be done even if you’re not planning to take them down. The purpose is to remove the dead branches and make the tree look better.
- Chainsaws are used in woodwork as they can be used to cut different types of wood for industrial purposes. DIY lovers also use chainsaws to cut wood for their multiple projects.
- There are several types of chainsaws that have been developed to cut through different materials like metal, concrete, and pipes. These unique models are either used for industrial purposes or artwork.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of a Chainsaw?
A chainsaw is a powerful power tool that should only be handled by someone who understands its potential. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of a chainsaw.
Advantages of a Chainsaw
- A chainsaw is faster and more powerful than a handsaw.
- It can tackle more challenging jobs successfully.
- There are several types of chainsaws, and you can find the most appropriate one for the job you have.
Disadvantages of a Chainsaw
- Regular maintenance is needed to keep your chainsaw working successfully. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with the chainsaw if you ignore maintenance. The chain should be inspected regularly, and you should lubricate the tool to guarantee that it will work the way it should.
- Safety is another major concern. A kickback happens when the chain gets caught on something while the engine keeps running, which can push the whole blade to fly towards your face, neck, or head. Moreover, you need to be careful while using and maintaining the chainsaw to protect your hands from injuries.
What is a Pole Saw and What is it Used For?
Most people believe that a pole saw is a chainsaw on a stick. It’s a cutting power tool that comes with an expendable rod to reach the branches on a tall tree. It’s basically a chainsaw attached to a pole to access higher branches.
Unlike chainsaws that can be used for several applications, a pole saw is usually more specific. It can’t be used for housework or in a garage workshop, but it’s a handy tool that you can use for landscape purposes.
Just like chainsaws, there are electric-powered and gas-powered pole saws. Gas-powered pole saws are quite common where you can pull a cord to start cutting. There are multiple designs on the market, and you can easily adjust the blade speed.
Electric-powered pole saws are less noisy, and these can be cordless or corded. Corded models are more powerful and easier to maneuver, while cordless models are more portable. Some models have batteries that can last for up to 2 hours.
Manual pole saws are also available, but they require a lot of effort. However, some people would still buy them because they’re quite affordable. Pole saws can be used for multiple purposes.
- Pruning is the main job of pole saw as you can remove the dry limbs to allow for better growth.
- Trimming of high branches is essential for safety purposes. A good pole saw will be able to reach the higher branches successfully.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of a Pole Saw?
A pole saw is a specific power tool that can handle a variety of special applications. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of a pole saw.
Advantages of a Pole Saw
- A pole saw has a quicker ignition than a chainsaw. It’s a suitable power tool for people who want a tool that helps them do their work fast.
- It’s easier to operate than a chainsaw. It’s lightweight and can be used by people who can’t carry a chainsaw for a long time.
- A pole saw is highly efficient if you’re an arborist or focus on landscape.
Disadvantages of a Pole Saw
- A pole saw is less versatile than a chainsaw. It can’t be used for multiple purposes, unlike a chainsaw.
Although both chainsaws and pole saws feature sharp blades and motors that allow the blade to move and cut through wood, the two tools operate differently.
A chainsaw is a versatile tool that can be used inside and outside the house. It’s suitable for professional users and DIYers who need a reliable tool that can cut through different types of wood and other materials.
A pole saw is a specific tool that can be used for trimming and pruning trees. There are multiple models available, so you can easily pick a suitable one to help you manage your backyard or garden.