When making a decision about the make and model of a chainsaw, it is important to identify what your needs are as a consumer.
There is no shortage of makes and models, but a fundamental predicament that buyers often encounter is what size to purchase. Increasingly the number of people opting for the 16 inch models are increasing because of the quality, price and accessibility of them.
Compared to the bigger models, the 16 inch models are great for anyone to use, as well as more suitable for smaller individuals as well as women.
The 4 Best 16-inch Chainsaws
Needless to say, 16 inch chainsaws are definitely in the spotlight when it comes to chainsaw sizes and meet the needs of many different individuals.
So, if you decide to go with a 16 inch saw, this list hits on the top 16 inch models on the market today.
Our first brand and most likely the oldest on this list is Makita as it was a leading brand of chainsaws that peaked in the 1960’s.
Unlike Ryobi saws, which are more designed for smaller jobs because of their size, Makita creates the perfect chainsaw or heavier duty jobs so they are ideal for professionals.
And although this is their specialty, they also offer lighter weight models perfect for smaller activities. Overall the chainsaws are easy to handle given their power.
What is so great about Makita is that they offer chainsaws that are either gas, battery or electric corded, so someone has the option to choose which type of chainsaw works best for them. The chainsaws have low emissions and the chainsaw produces less noise during use.
Makita Electric Chain Saw
Our favorite Makita chainsaw is the Makita UC4051A 16" Electric Chain Saw
Other reasons we love this chainsaw:
- It can be used with 10ga extension cords up to 50’ in length.
- The 16” bar will allow you to cut up to 14” in a single pass, or up to 28” in two passes.
- It works at a speed of 2,900 FPM.
- This exceeds the needs of most suburban homeowners.
- Since this chainsaw is electric, you can expect minimal maintenance – all you have to do is check the transparent oil level window and replace chain oil as needed to make sure there is sufficient oil to support the automatic oiling feature on this chainsaw
- Weighs the least, at only 14 pounds.
- The lightweight nature of this machine makes it easier to use and maneuver and helps prevent user fatigue when working on long jobs.
- "Tool-less" blade and chain adjustments for convenient operation and easy maintenance
- Rubberized grip handles are ergonomically designed for comfort
- Large trigger switch with soft start for smooth start-ups
- Built-in current limiter helps protect motor from burnout by reducing power to motor when saw is overloaded
- This Makita UC4051A 16" Electric Chain Saw is easy to start, no pulling, mixing fuel, or fussing with priming and such. Just use the ergonomic handles, find your power and safety buttons, and get to work.
- This machine is quieter than traditional gas-powered chainsaws, so it is better for your ears.
- No fuel emissions, it’s way better for your lungs.
- To prevent burnout, this chainsaw has a built-in current limiter that reduces power to the machine when it is overloaded.
- The electric chain brake is for safety, as is the tool-less blade and chain adjustment features on the side of the chainsaw.
- This chainsaw really packs a punch when it comes to cutting branches, trees, and firewood.
Makita chainsaws provide high quality, easy to use chainsaws that are perfect for both professionals and individuals looking for a smaller scale jobs saws.
Either way, this brand will be sure to meet whatever chainsaw needs you may have.
Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw
Next up we have the Husqvarna 16 Inch 440e II Gas Chainsaw. Not only does this chainsaw have a reputable brand known for making great chainsaws, it also has everything one is looking for in a saw.
Under 300 dollars it comes with great safety features, it is easy to use, as well as has value for your dollar.
- Brand: Husqvarna
- Model: 440E
- Engine power: 40.9 cc
- Power output: 2.4 hp
- Weight: 9.8 lbs.
- Max. length: 18 in.
- Max. power speed: 9000 rpm
- Fuel capacity: 12.48 fl.oz.
- Sound level: 102 dB
- 2 cycle engine
- Chain brake system
- Automatic chain oiler
- Allows for fast chain adjustments
- Gas powered
- Simple to use
- Easy to clean
- 440E II chainsaw with the new x-cut chain and x-force chainsaw Bar is a lightweight and efficient all-round chainsaw, ideal for the homeowner who wants a reliable workhorse that's simple to use.
- 40. 9cc 16 inch gas chainsaw with guide bar and chain; Idling speed: 2900 rpm
- 2 cycle engine with inertia activated chain brake for safety while operating
- Orange Husqvarna chainsaw Bar cover and 2. 6 ounce 2 cycle fuel Included, Bar and chain oil must be purchased Separately
Users are very pleased after purchasing this product. Main features that are mentioned and loved about this product are: very powerful, durable, cute just about anything.
This chainsaw should be purchased for experienced users as it is more powerful, heavy, as well as more dangerous compared to others on the market.
Remington Gas Chainsaw
If nothing has caught your eye yet, another great saw is REMINGTON RM4216 16” CHAINSAW. (our full review)
This 42cc gas-powered chainsaw was designed for the suburban homeowner. Its compact 16” bar size makes this an easy machine for beginning chainsaw users to figure out.
No products found.
This chainsaw has many great features that include:
- QuickStart Technology
- 5-Point Anti Vibration System
- Cushioned Handles
- Includes scabbard
What we wish it did differently:
- One fault for any user can be that it does require gas to function.
- It is a loud saw that may not be for everyone.
- It does require more maintenance then other saws.
- This saw is on the heavier side, so if users have to use this saw a lot, finding one on the lighter side can help get the job done faster as well as easier.
No products found.
Great safety features this saw includes are:
- It has a tool-less access to spark plug and air filter
- Has a low kickback chain
- Includes a chain brake
- Comes with an auto-oiler system
Husqvarna 16 Inch II Gas Chainsaw
There are many reasons why this chainsaw is highly ranked among its customers. From being able to be used as a newbie or professional this chainsaw is perfect for everyone. This saw is a reliable tool that is super simple to use.
No products found.
This chainsaw is a perfect tool that allows users to handle more heavy duty projects. At the center of this chainsaw there is a 40.9 cc motor with a power output of 2.2 HP.
The motor also includes X-Torq technology that means it emits non-toxic fumes which are safer for the user. This model operates at a maximum speed of 9000 RPM which allows for optimal clean cuts to be achieved.
A great aspect that is included in this chainsaw is the power saving feature that allows users to save power when the saw is not in use. A guide bar is included with purchase and will help with any job.
Starting the chainsaw is also very easy to do. Unlike many other chainsaws in the market needing making yanks in order to start the engine, the Husqvarna 435 is not like that at all. With this saw you will not need many yanks at all.
No products found.
Other features we love include:
- It comes with soft rubbery handles that makes it easier and more comfortable to hold.
- Has low vibrations which can help with longer jobs.
- It has a high efficiency motor
- Includes an inertia activated chain brake
- Has a hand guard to make the job more safe to get done.
- Includes an air purge system
- The best feature is that it is a durable and long lasting saw.
It is clear from this list that there are many different chainsaw brands that follow the 16-inch guidelines that provide customers many unique features but are all still dependable and powerful.
Depending on what the user is looking for any of these chainsaw brands are perfect in order to ensure any job gets done with ease.