Chopping up wood has such a rustic appeal to it. You swing the ax, and you’re hit with this powerful and almost primal feeling.
But all that allure quickly fades away once you start realizing how boring and arduous log cutting is.
So why not invest in a durable, powerful log splitter to do the work for you? We searched the internet and found the 5 best electric log splitters under $300 for you.
The 5 Best Electric Log Splitters Under $300
The integrated stroke limiter reduces cycle times for shorter logs. The heavy duty 5" steel wedge splits logs quickly & easily. This powerful piece of machine has no problem cutting woods up to 10 inches in diameter, such as pine, cedar, and oak.
The 5 Best Electric Log Splitters Product Review
These top-notch log splitters are a great way to get the firewood you need without spending too much money. You also save yourself the physical exertion and reduce the risk of any injuries.
Electric log splitters provide faster, more powerful cutting techniques than hydraulic splitters. While this may prove to be an efficient time-saver, it can also be a safety hazard.
Make sure you keep your hands out of the way of both the cutter, as well as the debris that flies out during the cutting process.
It works great with wood that’s 20 inches long and anywhere between 10 - 12 inches in diameter. Going over 12 inches may damage the machine.
The best types of woods for the YARDMAX are beech, maple, hemlock, chestnut, and oak.
One of its best features is its attachable stand. This gives the YARDMAX more height than other log splitting brands. It also reduces your risk of getting injured while providing extra support stability during the cutting process.
It also comes with a log tray to make sure your logs are stable until they’ve successfully been cut. The YARDMAX has a stroke limiter that makes it easier to work with shorter logs.
In spite of all these add-ons, the YARDMAX YSO552 is portable and not that heavy. It can be put together and taken apart quickly and with ease. The YARDMAX YSO552 has dimensions of 40 × 8 × 5 inches and weighs 100 lbs.
- Powerful, 5 Ton RAM Force to get the job done fast
- Stand, log tray and stroke limiter included
- Two-handed operation puts operator safety first
- Log capacity - 20.5" in length and 10" in diameter
- Lightweight, portable, and easy to set up
- Comes with an attachable stand and log tray
- A two-handed operation for extra safety
- Budget-friendly price
- Stroke limiter function
- Plastic wheels can break easily as they can’t handle the weight
Sun Joe LJ602E
The Sun Joe LJ602E is a sturdy and powerful log splitter. It’s powered by a 15-amp engine that offers 5 tons of splitting power. It can cut through all types of wood.
Its log cradle accommodates logs of up to 20.5 inches in length and 10 inches wide. Its frame is made with durable steel.
The LJ602E also comes with a hydraulic ram. This gives you the freedom to reduce the travel of the ram, saving you time and effort.
Another major advantage of the Sun Joe log splitter is that it has a two-handed safety switch system. This ensures that you’re protected against injuries and accidents as you’re cutting up your wood.
The LJ602E has 2 rear wheels so you can easily move it to different work areas. Its dimensions are 39 × 10 × 19 inches and it weighs 92.6 lbs.
- Rubber wheels for easy portability
- Two-handed safety switch system
- Grip handle is ergonomically designed for added comfort
- Hydraulic ram
- Affordable price
- Some users complained of weak splitting power
- Isn’t functional in cold weather
- Stands too close to the ground
This WEN log splitter has a 15-amp 2.5-horsepower engine that gives 6.5 tons of splitting force. It can cut wood up to 20.5 inches in length and 10 inches in diameter. It has a pull handle and durable wheels for easy transportation.
The WEN log splitter can be used with or without the 34-inch stand. It’s made of waterproof, durable steel that’s able to withstand all weather and work conditions.
This log splitter doesn’t make a loud noise. It’s suitable for use both outdoors and indoors. It’s reliable and ensures long-term, high-quality service.
Weighing 98 lbs, the WEN 56207 is the lightest out of the 5 log splitters we reviewed. Its dimensions are 38.5 × 28 × 39 inches.
- Wide wheels and sturdy handle for easy maneuvering
- Isn’t loud
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Leg frame is easy to install
- Moderately priced
- Built-in log cradle
- Some users complained that the unit becomes weaker after a couple of uses
- Powerful 15A motor provides over 13,000 pounds of log cracking pressure
- Use the log splitter with or without the 34-inch stand depending on user preferences
- Included pull handle and 5.5-inch never-flat wheels make for easy transportation between jobs
This Southland log splitter operates using a 1.75 HP engine to deliver 6 tons of splitting power. It’s powerful enough to cut logs up to 20 inches long.
This powerful piece of machine has no problem cutting woods up to 10 inches in diameter, such as pine, cedar, and oak. But it may falter if a piece of wood is knotted or gnarled.
Also, it’s better if you don’t go over the 10-inch recommendation to ensure your safety and that of the machine.
One of the Southland’s best features is its stroke limiter. Enabling this feature makes it easier to cut shorter and smaller logs. The stroke limiter saves time and effort and provides you with more precision and a shorter cycle.
The Southland SELS60 has dimensions of 37.7 × 11.8 × 18.5 inches and weighs a little under 106 lbs.
- Fast and easy assembly
- Convenient stroke limiter function
- Moderately priced
- Can be stored vertically to save space
- Shuts down automatically when overpowered
- Doesn’t have a stand option
- Some users complained of several manufacturing issues
- Heavy duty 1.75 HP, 15 amp induction motor delivers maximum performance for the most rugged condition
- Effortlessly does big splitting jobs with a 18-second cycle time
- Integrated stroke limiter can adjust to a shorter stroke for smaller logs
All Power America LS5T
The All Power America log splitter ES7T20 operates on a 15-amp electric motor that gives up to 5 tons of force. It can cut wood of up to 10 inches in diameter and up to 20 inches in length.
Even if you have wood that’s up to 16 inches in diameter, the Boss ES7T20 can cut it with no problem. In some cases, all you have to do is turn the piece of wood around to get a clean cut.
The LS5T has a durable steel frame. Yet, it’s lightweight and easy to move. One of its best features is that it doesn’t make a lot of noise, which makes it suitable for small jobs for your home.
One of this log splitter’s fantastic features is its automatic ram return. This feature ensures a quick set-up of the next log without wasting time or effort.
The Boss ES7T20 has dimensions of 40 × 11.4 × 20 inches and weighs 101 lbs.
- Rubber wheels and handle for easy portability
- Isn’t loud
- Suitable for small jobs at home
- Budget-friendly price
- Wheels aren’t durable
- Not meant for hard types of wood
- 1500 Watt Electric Hydraulic, 5 Ton Capacity
- Splits up to 20” Long and 10” Diameter
- Horizontal Mount, Steel Outer Shell with Sturdy Tubular Leg Design
Electric log splitters are practical machines to have if you have a fireplace or woodstove. They give you the wood you need without putting too much pressure on your shoulders and back.
The one thing you have to think about is finding the right one for you. It should have certain features that make it practical, effective, and easy to use. It also has to be able to cut through the types of wood you subject it to.
After reviewing the 5 best electric log splitters under $300, we choose the Southland SELS60 as our top pick. It’s powerful, versatile, and great at handling all types of wood, no matter how hard.
Our second choice is Sun Joe LJ602E. It’s efficient and sturdy. Plus, it has a reliable two-handed safety switch system to prevent any accidents.